For more than two decades, GPA Midstream North Texas Chapter has provided annual scholarships to encourage local area students to pursue engineering or technical degree programs with the goal of entering the oil and gas processing industry upon graduation. The NTGPA scholarship program is aimed at juniors and seniors within the engineering/technical departments at regional universities such as: Texas A&M University, University of Texas, Texas Tech University, Texas Christian University, University of North Texas, Baylor University and Letourneau University.
Funding for each year's recipients is made possible by company sponsorships, donations, and fundraisers such as annual golf tournaments and sporting clay events. With the 2020 support of our Members and Sponsors, NTGPA was able to raise about $30,000 in annual scholarships to students sincerely interested in the Midstream Industry.
Over the course of 25+ years, NTGPA has granted over $500,000 in scholarships to more than 150 students. In the last five (5) years alone, the Chapter has granted scholarships totaling $123,000 to almost 50 students.
Committee composition will include the following – all of which hold current positions as a Director of the NTGPA:
- Chairperson: Derek Gonseaux
- Committee: Scott Baker
- Committee: Jared Canuteson
Scholarship awards are given to those recipients who demonstrate a strong interest in the industry. To support this effort NTGPA has created a dedicated Scholarship Committee whose primary purpose is to:
- Raise student awareness on campuses throughout the North Texas Region of both the NTGPA Scholarship Program & Job Opportunities in the Midstream Industry
- Raise Midstream Industry awareness in the engineering faculty and student populations
- Provide secondary benefits, such as networking between GPA members, etc.
- Encourage participation in NTGPA education and networking events.
- Solicit student applications for scholarship award consideration
- Review applications/essays and provide candidate recommendation list to the Board for approval based on the recommendation of the committee and scoring criteria
- Inform successful candidates of award and invite each winner to the NTGPA Regional Conference for recognition
- Send scholarship checks to the student's registered University before the following semester
The Scholarship Committee meets as necessary, and may arrange their meetings in concert with the regularly scheduled director’s meetings. The general schedule for achieving the objectives of the Scholarship Committee is as follows:
April: Open application process / Send letters to department heads requesting candidates apply
June: Review applications, submit recommendation to Board, Board approves recipients
July: Recipients informed and invited to NTGPA Regional Conference for recognition
August: Scholarships funded
The NTGPA 2022 scholarship application window opens in April and closes the end of May. Scholarship recipients will be notified in July and invited to the NTGPA Regional Conference for recognition.
Requirements for Eligible Applicants:
- Student is or will be attending an ABET accredited university.
- Student is pursuing a degree in an engineering/technical discipline.
- Student has a high likelihood of working in the midstream industry upon graduation. Some factors might include:
- Student has field experience with or has interned for midstream companies
- Student's parent(s) / close relative(s) work for a NTGPA Member Company
- Student will be entering his/her junior or senior year.
- Student will have a minimum GPA required for university graduation.
Annually, the NTGPA may disperse up to $30,000 in scholarships, which will be allocated as directed by the Scholarship Committee, providing candidates are available, meet the criteria, and sufficient funding is available. Interested candidates, or those wanting to nominate a candidate, can contact members of the Scholarship Committee.